Print RSS

Articles

When do I get my refund on leaving the retirement village?

Richard McCullagh - Tuesday, October 18, 2011

When do I get my refund on leaving the retirement village?

SHORT ANSWER

You are entitled to a refund shortly after a new resident moves into your dwelling.  In some cases, this is due 6 months after you permanently vacate the dwelling even if no new resident has moved in by then.

LONG ANSWER

1.  In some cases, the operator has to pay your refund within 14 days of the earlier of when

• the succeeding resident
    • moves into your dwelling, or
    • pays the full ingoing contribution to the operator, or
    • enters into a village contract with the operator, or
  • the operator enters into a residential tenancy agreement with respect to your dwelling, whether with the new resident or someone else
    • unless that agreement specifically excludes the provisions of the Retirement Villages Act, or
  • some other person otherwise moves into the dwelling with the operator's consent.

This applies if you occupied your dwelling as a 'registered interest holder' under a lease that is

• registered, and
  • has a term of at least 50 years, or is a life tenancy, and
  • entitles you to at least 50% of any capital gain.

2.  In other cases, the operator has to pay your refund within 6 months of your permanently vacating your dwelling if none of the events above have occurred within that time.

This applies to 'non-registered interest holders', eg if your residence right is in the form of

• a licence, or
  • a lease that is
    • not registered, or
    • is for a term of less than 50 years, or
    • entitles you to retain less than 50% of any capital gain.

If you are entitled to some, but less than 50%, of the capital gain, your share is payable later when a new resident moves in if he or she pays a higher ingoing contribution than you paid. This is a top-up to your partial refund due 6 months from permanent vacation.

3.  In other cases, it is not the operator who has an obligation to pay you a refund. Rather, it is the succeeding resident moving into your dwelling that has the obligation to pay you the purchase price.

This applies if you occupy under, for example,

• strata title
  • community title
  • company title without a separate lease, or
  • leasehold title where the balance of the term of the lease is assigned (or sold) to the next resident.

4.  Finally, if your contract provides for an earlier time for payment than as set out above, your contract will prevail.

Comments
cheap Swimwear For women commented on 17-Sep-2012 06:25 AM
I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this webpage on regular basis to get updated from latest news update.
Vessensecem commented on 24-Sep-2012 10:46 AM
http://rbrqccoj.com - EtvnKihaikrw , WNXnUCvWxG - http://xupmysjcg.com
isopure mass commented on 26-Sep-2012 12:40 PM
Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?

I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and
would love to have you share some stories/information.

I know my subscribers would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
site link checker commented on 02-Oct-2012 01:37 PM
Hi there, all the time i used to check weblog posts here in the early hours in the morning, as i
love to gain knowledge of more and more.
Darwin commented on 04-Oct-2012 05:40 PM
This post is actually a nice one it assists new net users, who are wishing in favor
of blogging.
seo-it-right.co.uk commented on 05-Oct-2012 06:15 PM
I rarely drop responses, but i did a few searching and wound up here When do I get my refund on leaving the
retirement village?. And I do have some questions
for you if it's allright. Could it be just me or does it give the impression like some of the remarks appear like left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional social sites, I'd like to keep
up with everything fresh you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of all
your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
Trey commented on 07-Oct-2012 07:31 AM
brilliant blog I'm a huge BB watcher
Amelia commented on 08-Oct-2012 12:37 AM
Thanks regarding furnishing these types of superior articles.
check this site commented on 09-Oct-2012 12:07 PM
Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?

I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless think of if you added
some great visuals or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"!
Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this website could
definitely be one of the very best in its niche.
Amazing blog!
Tim commented on 11-Oct-2012 09:36 PM
Hey there! My wife and I frequently publish guest
posts for other website
owners to help increase publicity to our work, as well as provide
terrific content to blog owners. It really is a win win situation!
If you're interested feel free to email me at: tim-burkett@gmail.com so
we can communicate further. Many thanks!
youtube.com commented on 11-Oct-2012 10:56 PM
Hey this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting
to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually
code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!
UGG ブーツ commented on 12-Oct-2012 06:11 AM
Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how
can i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account aided me
a appropriate deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided vivid transparent idea
Theresa commented on 13-Oct-2012 10:35 AM
With thanks for sharing your awesome web site.
Nicolas commented on 14-Oct-2012 12:43 AM
Good webpage you have there.
Williams commented on 14-Oct-2012 11:06 AM
Amazing, this is a valuable web page.
pay day loans commented on 15-Oct-2012 05:36 AM
One must pack in this grow with all most of the necessary personal factors and after the exact confirmations of individuals
details are constructed you will enjoy the approval of the loan centre.
Usually, ₤20 often is paid for as well as ₤100 that an important person borrows.
Olivia commented on 15-Oct-2012 09:18 AM
Thanks a bunch! It is an wonderful web site!
RARAKESKIKICE commented on 16-Oct-2012 02:41 AM
The top time to eat your heaviest meal of the day is after you have completed your muscle-building workout session

Stephany commented on 16-Oct-2012 05:09 AM
thnx for sharing your great web-site.
happypaydayadvance.co.uk commented on 16-Oct-2012 09:48 PM
pretty terrific pic! homepage
equity release advice commented on 17-Oct-2012 12:58 AM
One must fulfill in this selection with all how the necessary personal factors
and after i would say the confirmations of these kind
of details are made you will end up the approval connected the loan option.
Borrowers can get the definition extended too possibly rollovers in legal proceeding of payment ailments.
phypeteerpelt commented on 17-Oct-2012 05:31 AM
You might see other individuals who are content to only focus on a single style of exercise but this is not the ideal solution to exercise session should you are a beginner who is serious about creating muscle mass mass

phypeteerpelt commented on 17-Oct-2012 04:38 PM
These movements recruit many more muscles fibers to use to move the weight
phypeteerpelt commented on 17-Oct-2012 09:42 PM
I just went on Blogspot and designed a site, I need to produce it for invited members only. I've noticed blogs like that, but I do not know the way to do it myself. I presently built it so that my website just isn't visible from my profile, but I do not know very well what to do next..
phypeteerpelt commented on 18-Oct-2012 02:50 AM
5- Stop spending 1000% mark-ups does muscle maximizer really work GoDaddy tech support is so frustrating. First, I used their applications panel to install joomla, but when I uploaded my local site via ftp, it didn't work. I called GoDaddy support and they do not give support for migrating a local site to their host. You just have to build it from scratch from their installation. That stinks. Solutions?.